- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- ¾ cup butter
- ? cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 8 (1 ounce) squares high quality milk chocolate
- ? cup toasted and sliced almonds
- Beat 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup sugar until pale. Add flour and ground almonds to form a soft dough.
- Press dough into a 8 inch square pan that has been greased and lined with parchment paper. Bake shortbread at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until pale golden brown. Leave in pan until cool.
- To Make Topping: Cook 3/4 cup butter, 3/8 cup sugar, syrup, and sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan on low heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 5 to 7 minutes until it has thickened and has a pale caramel color.
- Spread caramel on cooled shortbread, and let set about 40 minutes. Melt chocolate over low heat. Spread melted chocolate on top of caramel and sprinkle on toasted almonds.