- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1?½ cups chopped onion
- 12 ounces spicy andouille sausage
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (such as Swanson® Natural Goodness®)
- 1 cup split peas
- picked over
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups sliced zucchini
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir chicken broth, split peas, and bay leaves into the Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until split peas are tender and beginning to collapse, 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in zucchini and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves before serving.