Deep-Fried Morel Mushrooms
- 20 large fresh morel mushrooms
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Italian cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil for frying
- Place morels in a large bowl of warm salted water and leave to soak, about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Combine flour, cracker crumbs, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, and cumin in a large resealable plastic bag to make breading mix.
- Whisk milk and egg together in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Dip mushrooms, a few at a time, into milk mixture. Toss in breading mix until coated; shake off excess.
- Fry breaded morels in the hot oil, working in batches, until dark brown and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
There are no reviews for this recipe yet, use a form below to write your review