Grandmom Andersons’ Crab Cakes
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion
- 1 strip celery
- 1 pound fresh crabmeat
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 5 slices day-old bread
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups dry bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- Place one egg in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion and celery until the onions are translucent; remove and let cool. In a mixing bowl combine the cooled onion mixture with crabmeat. Mix thoroughly. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Remove crab mixture from refrigerator and add hard cooked egg and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour milk into a separate bowl. Dip the bread slices, one at a time, quickly into the milk and squeeze most of it out. Add soaked bread to the crab mixture. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- In a wide shallow bowl, beat the 3 eggs. Place bread crumbs in a separate bowl. Remove crab mixture from refrigerator, shape into hamburger shaped patties. Dip each one into the beaten egg and then into the bread crumbs, coating well.
- In a medium skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat and fry crab cakes until they are a nice golden brown.
There are no reviews for this recipe yet, use a form below to write your review