- 8 baking potatoes
- 1 cup butter
- melted and cooled to lukewarm
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Two days before serving, boil potatoes whole, with skins, until tender, about 25 minutes. When you can insert a fork and remove it easily, they are done. Drain, and refrigerate.
- The day before serving, peel and grate the potatoes. I like to use a food processor with grating attachment. Place the potatoes into a large bowl and toss gently with melted butter, half-and-half, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- The day of the meal, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake for 1 hour, uncovered. You may broil for a minute at the end to brown the top if you like.