- 1 pound long Chinese eggplants
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Trim eggplants and cut in half if very long. Cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices. Sprinkle a little Italian seasoning and salt on both sides of each slice.
- Preheat a griddle or heavy pan over high heat. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over eggplant slices and cook until slightly charred, about 30 seconds per side.
- Core bell pepper and cut into thin slices. Season with salt. Use the same griddle or pan to cook until slightly charred, about 30 seconds per side.
- Prepare dressing by mixing remaining olive oil, sugar, balsamic vinegar, and garlic in a small bowl. Stir in remaining Italian seasoning.
- Layer 1/2 of the eggplant slices on a plate. Dot with cream cheese. Cover with bell peppers and remaining cream cheese. Top with remaining eggplant. Drizzle dressing over the salad. Garnish with cilantro. Serve warm, mixing right before serving.